Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Hard to accept

Something curious is happening. The friends and family members I've shared DD's diagnosis with all appear to be supportive and sympathetic, but it's clear many of them don't believe it. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but when someone says, "I have cancer" I'm pretty sure most people don't question it. When it's a mental disorder, suddenly everyone is qualified to question the diagnosis and recommend alternatives. I'm trying not to be annoyed or insulted, but I really do have to wonder about how much we as a society accept the idea that our brains can have biological disorders that require medication. I mean, you wouldn't tell someone who had cancer to not have chemo, right? My kid without medication is not someone you want to tangle with. Seriously. Medications are required to keep her from destroying herself and our family.

I'm also scared. Really, really scared. Are parents going to keep their kids away from my kid? What about her brother? Will parents keep their kids away from him, too, because of his sister? Is my kid going to be one of those kids who blows up the school, despite all of my best efforts to get proper care for her? This is so hard - to have a child with a very serious illness that is not an "acceptable" disease, which means little or no support for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment