Monday, June 3, 2013
Work/Life balance? Impossible!!!
In trying to do the right thing for my daughter (working part time to be more available for her), I've hit a roadblock. Long story short, my vice-principal is happy to accommodate me coming in later in the morning, but unless I convince another department member to come back and work full time to take one section in the afternoon, I can't pick my kiddo up from school to save her the stress of dealing with after-school care. UGH! I hate this! My husband and I are both well-educated in employable fields (me, teaching; him, economics and computer technology), but we don't make enough money for one of us to stop working to take care of our daughter. We didn't know when we decided to have kids that we were going to have a special-needs child. In fact, we checked to see if either of our children were going to have any genetic problems before they were born. Trouble is, mental illness doesn't show up on those tests. We got married, made sure our relationship was strong and solid and made sure we were doing okay financially before we made the leap into parenthood. We live in a crappy world where big corporations are allowed to ruin our economy and then get bailed out while the rest of us who try to be responsible are screwed. How can I choose between my child's health and a roof over our heads???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment